Appalachian State University Academy at Middle Fork provides a balanced education for children, teachers, principals, and families through the implementation of research-based practices, state of the art literacy instruction, and exemplary classroom instruction and administration.
About the Academy
The Reich College of Education at Appalachian State University has partnered with Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools to establish the Academy at Middle Fork.
Serving Grades K-5
Appalachian State University Academy at Middle Fork will offer services for grades Kindergarten through Fifth Grade starting in the Fall of 2018.
- Our goal is for the Academy to become a model, demonstration school, and resource for children, families, professionals, and partners
- The Academy will foster relationships and partnerships with surrounding community organizations and educational institutions
- The Academy will continue to partner with WSFCS under existing (and potentially new) partnerships and MOU agreements
- WSFCS will run a PreKindergarten program within the school building and under the administration of WSFCS
Applications will be accepted during the enrollment period November, 2017 - April, 2018. Interested families should apply during this time.
- Children currently enrolled at Middle Fork are eligible for admission as well as students from the WSFCS who are currently enrolled in a low-performing school or did not meet expected growth in the prior school year based on one of the following indicators: grades, observations, diagnostic and formative assessments, state assessments, or other factors, including reading on grade level
- Families with eligible children are asked to declare their intention to enroll through the completion of an application form that is available in the school office and time-stamped
- Eligible students are accepted in the order in which the applications are received and by grade level and school capacity
- Target enrollment for the first year is 315 pupils for grades K-5
For more information, please contact:
Policies, Forms & Handbook
View Current Postings (select "Academy at Middle Fork")
All applicants must apply through Appalachian State Universtiy Office of Human Resources job portal.
- The Academy will serve K-5 and will employ multiple teaching and support positions
- Teachers must hold or be eligible to hold NC Teaching License
- Current WSFCS teachers as well as others interested in committing to meeting the needs of diverse learners within an innovative, progressive model of teaching and learning may apply
- Based on the NC statute, current WSFCS teachers who are offered employment with the Academy will be granted a renewable leave of absence from their current teaching position and retain the ability to return to the school system
- Personnel employed at the Academy maintain their state health and retirement benefits
- Salaries match state and local salary schedule
- Applicants should be highly motivated and interested in professional development opportunities/requirements
For Logan Marie Poplin, learning to read hasn’t been easy.“She struggles in reading,” said her mother, Shawnie Poplin.So it’s no surprise that...
Appalachian State University has agreed to pay Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools $426,840 annually to rent Middle Fork Elementary School for a plan...
App State Academy accepts more than 200 Middle Fork Elementary students and is still taking applications
Winston-Salem JournalMarch 5, 2018The Appalachian State University Academy at Middle Fork, which will have a reading literacy focus, last week accepte...
We commit to learning together through partnerships, collaboration and high-quality instructional programming.
Developing the Whole Child
We commit to developing the whole child including their social skills, emotional needs and cognitive abilities.
We commit to boosting academics through early literacy as well as an inclusive and integrated, interdisciplinary curriculum.
We commit to amplifying sustainability by teaching sustainable living; civility, equity and equality; wellness; and, respect for the environment.