Criminal Background Check Requirement
Appalachian State University, in response to the need of school systems for criminal background knowledge of those persons who work with children, has instituted a criminal background check system through Certiphi.com. All teacher candidates who enter the public schools must undergo this process. The Associate Dean for Field Experiences of the Reich College of Education has access to student documents and will discuss results with students as appropriate. Information from these background checks is treated with the highest degree of confidentiality and used solely for the purpose of acquiring an appropriate student teaching placement for the Teacher Candidate.
A current Criminal Background Check must be on file before entering into any field experience. Criminal Background Checks expire six months after the report is completed.
The procedures for this requirement are as follows:
- Teacher Candidates log into Banner Self Service to complete their CBC request. Refer to the directions in Procedure for Completion of Criminal Background Check (Student Teaching Handbook).
- Teacher Candidate waits 4 business days from the step above.
- Teacher Candidate logs into http://www.applicationstation.com (using the code APPSTATEEDUCATION in the application station code field).
- Teacher Candidate creates a new account (using a new username and password by clicking on the “sign up now” button.
Within 72 hours a report is sent to the Associate Dean for Field Experiences and to the Teacher Candidate. If the background check is not clear, the Teacher Candidate may be required to write an electronic statement used by the Associate Dean in seeking a placement. The Teacher Candidate e-mails the statement as an attachment to the Associate Dean. The Teacher Candidate includes the following phrase on the statement: “I give the Office of Field Experiences permission to e-mail this statement to the human resource directors of prospective field-placement districts/ counties.”
While the Associate Dean for Field Experiences will make every effort to obtain a placement, she cannot guarantee that a placement can be obtained for those with questionable backgrounds. If, after three attempts, the Teacher Candidate is not accepted for a placement in any field- based course, the student will need to withdraw from the program.
Quick steps to request an ASU CBC:
- Login to Banner Self Service – bannerweb.appstate.edu
- Go to the “Student” tab
- Click the “RCOE Student Services” link
- Click the “Criminal Background Check Request” link
- Complete the information. Complete all required fields
- Click Submit
- after clicking submit you will automatically receive an email to your appstate email account with instructions on how to complete the online portion of the background check process. PLEASE PAY STRICT ATTENTION TO THOSE DIRECTIONS OR THE PROCESS WILL NOT WORK.
For more information concerning other requirements for Student Teaching, please visit our Important Information for Student Teaching Page.