For the third consecutive year, Appalachian State University has topped the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards list of Top 50 Alma Maters by Total Number of NBCTs with 2,090 alumni having earned the national credential.
North Carolina Tops the 2018 State Rankings by Total Number of National Board Certified Teachers
North Carolina continues to lead the nation in numbers of teachers who have earned NBCT certification with 21,985. In 2018, 557 additional North Carolina teachers gained the endorsement.
The national certification is based on a rigorous performance-based assessment that typically takes from one to three years to complete and measures what accomplished teachers and counselors should know and be able to do.
Nationally, 3,907 teachers earned certification in 2018, raising the total among all states to more than 122,000. In addition, 4,446 teachers nationally achieved recertification - North Carolina also leads the nation in recertified teachers for 2018 with 946.
North Carolina accounts for nearly one-fifth (18 percent) of all teachers nationally who are certified by the teaching standards organization. Nationally certified teachers also account for a larger percentage of the total teaching force in North Carolina than any other state, with 22.13 percent having earned the credential.
Nine NC Colleges and Universities Ranked in the Top 50 Alma Maters by Total Number of NBCTs
The NBPTS also ranked the top 50 public and private universities and colleges with the highest number of alumni with the national credential. Appalachian State University took the top spot for the third year in a row.
Nine North Carolina universities or colleges made the top 50:
- Appalachian State University was first with 2,090
- East Carolina University, second with 2,052
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, fourth with 1,410
- The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, sixth with 1,353
- The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, seventh with 1,226
- North Carolina State University, tied for 16th with 933
- Western Carolina University, 20th with 877
- The University of North Carolina at Wilmington, 21st with 854
- Meredith College, 46th with 454
Read the December 11, 2018 news release from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.