Licensure and Certification

Individuals seeking teacher licensure in North Carolina have several routes available to them; each route carries specific requirements and limitations. In all cases, individuals should seek additional information from appropriate offices or authorities; below is a brief overview of the routes.

Three licensure options exist for students:

  • Traditional Teacher Licensure
  • Licensure Only (includes Appalachian Transition to Teaching Program)
  • Lateral Entry

Traditional Teacher Licensure

  • A four year undergraduate degree is the most common route for students who enter a college or university with the intention of completing a degree in teacher education. 
  • Students select a major, follow a prescribed course of study, and complete an actual degree designed to prepare teachers in a particular field. 
  • Students are then recommended by the Reich College of Education for initial licensure.

For further information, visit Academics to learn more about our departments and programs or the University Bulletin where major and licensure requirements are detailed.

Note: RCOE participates in the Appalachian Learning Alliance, a consortium of 10 community colleges where students may complete a 2+2 program leading to licensure. Students complete an appropriate Associate of Arts degree and then are admitted to Appalachian's teacher education program and may complete all requirements in as little as two years. Learn more!

Licensure Only

  • Available to individuals who have completed a four-year degree from an accredited university. 
  • Present a Transition to Teaching application along with official transcripts to the RCOE Office of Field Experiences.
    • The office will conduct a FREE analysis to determine what requirements the individual must meet before being recommended for licensure.
  • Students can choose to study full-time or part-time to complete these requirements. 

Lateral Entry

  • Available to individuals with degrees in appropriate fields, but not teaching licenses, who have been hired by a school district.
    • Lateral entry candidates must present evidence of having been hired by a school district.
    • Candidates must present transcripts for review. 
    • A program of study can be developed or the candidate can take courses to meet the terms of a Program of Study from a regional alternative licensing center.
  • Lateral entry teachers are hired to teach full time in a district and must arrange to complete the requirements in addition to meeting the full-time obligations of a teacher. 
  • Three years are allowed to complete the necessary requirements for a teaching license, with a minimum of six hours being taken each academic year in order to remain in good standing. 

Note: in all cases outlined above, candidates are required to provide appropriate documentation when requesting a transcript evaluation.

Contact Information:

Dr. N. Jordan
Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Program Services
Office: 405J College of Education
Phone: 828-262-6049

Mel Falck 
Records Specialist
Office: 404F College of Education
Phone: 828-262-2696

Jean Peacock 
Licensure Specialist
Office: 404D College of Education
Phone: 828-262-6891