Be a teacher!
Appalachian students who are interested in becoming educators are required to apply to Teacher Education.
In order to apply, you must meet all of the pre-requisites:
- Passing Praxis CORE test or being exempted (based on SAT or ACT scores)
- Attend a First Steps to Teaching Information Session (learn more)
- A current Criminal Background Check (within 6 months of your application)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher
- 45 semester hours or more
- A C or better in ENG 1000, FDN 2400, & CI 2300
- No Grades of Incomplete
The required test for admission to Teacher Education is called the Praxis CORE. Please note that some students are exempt from this requirement thanks to their SAT or ACT scores:
Praxis CORE Passing Scores
- Reading: 156 or higher
- Writing: 162 or higher
- Math: 150 or higher
- Combined: 468 or higher
SAT & ACT Scores (for exemption)
If you took the new SAT after March 2016:
- 1170 or higher on the SAT combined Evidence-Based Reading/Writing and Math (Optional essay scores are not counted)
If you took the old SAT before March 2016:
- 1100 or higher on the SAT combined Verbal and Math (Writing scores are not counted)
If you took the ACT:
- 24 or higher Composite score
If you did not earn a SAT or ACT exemption score, you may still be exempt from one or two sections of the test:
- Praxis CORE Reading and Writing exemption
- Old SAT Verbal score of 550 or higher
- New SAT Evidence-Based Reading/Writing score of 600 or higher
- ACT English score of 24 or higher
- Praxis CORE Math exemption
- Old SAT Math score of 550 or higher
- New SAT Math score of 570 or higher
- ACT Math score of 24 or higher
*The old SAT Writing score is not considered in either the total SAT score nor is it a way to be exempted from the Praxis CORE Writing.
**ACT and SAT scores cannot be combined according to NC state policy.
Questions? Visit the James Center for Student Success and Advising Praxis CORE page for assistance.
Log-in to AppalNet.
- Select the “Student” tab
- Select the “RCOE Student Services” link
- Select “Application for Teacher Education”
- If you have not met all of the pre-requisites, your AppalNET account will show what is missing. (if this is the case, you will need to contact your advisor, listed on your account) For a visual aid see the below application.
- If you meet all of the prerequisites, simply click submit. This will forward your application to your advisor. You will also receive an email acknowledging the submission of your application.
To check the status of your Teacher Education Application
Complete steps 1-4 above. Your screen will indicate your application status as pending if it has been submitted successfully.