Licensure and Certification

Individuals seeking teacher licensure in North Carolina have several routes available to them; each route carries specific requirements and limitations. In all cases, individuals should seek additional information from appropriate offices or authorities; below is a brief overview of the routes.

Three licensure options exist for students:

Traditional Teacher Licensure

A four year undergraduate degree is the most common route for students who enter a college or university with the intention of completing a degree in teacher education. Students select a major, follow a prescribed course of study, and complete an actual degree designed to prepare teachers in a particular field and are recommended by the Reich College of Education for initial licensure. For further information on this route, refer to Programs and Departments and the university catalog where major and licensure requirements are detailed.

Note: The Reich College of Education participates in the Appalachian Learning Alliance, a consortium of 10 community colleges where students may complete a 2+2 program leading to licensure; in essence, students complete an appropriate Associate in Arts degree and then are admitted to ASU's teacher education program and may complete all requirements through ASU in as little as two years. For more information on these programs (not all programs are available at all 10 community colleges), see Extension.

Licensure Only

This route is available for those individuals who have completed a four-year degree from an accredited university. In such cases, the individual presents the transition to teaching application and his/her official transcripts for review to the Office of Field Experiences in the Reich College of Education; an analysis will be done--at no charge--to determine what requirements the individual must meet before being recommended for licensure; students can opt to go full-time or part-time to complete these requirements. For further information on this option, consult a representative in the Dean's Office in the Reich College of Education.

Lateral Entry

A school district hires an individual with a degree in an appropriate field but who does not have a teaching license; if the district hires the individual and a lateral entry license is issued, the individual then will have three years to complete the necessary requirements for a teaching license, with a minimum of six hours being taken each academic year in order to remain in good standing. The lateral entry teacher is hired to teach full time in a district and must arrange to complete the requirements in addition to meeting the full-time obligations of a teacher. Lateral entry candidates must present evidence of their having been hired by a district before the university will accept them in this category; lateral entry candidates also must present their transcripts for analysis and a program of study can be developed for the candidate to follow or the candidate can take courses to meet the terms of a Program of Study from a regional alternative licensing center. For further information on this option, consult a representative in the Dean's Office in the Reich College of Education.

Note: in all cases outlined above, candidates are required to provide appropriate documentation when requesting evaluation of their transcripts for any of the alternative options outlined above.

Contact Information:

Dr. N. Jordan
Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Program Services
Office: 405J College of Education
Phone: 828-262-6049

Mel Falck 
Records Specialist
Office: 404F College of Education
Phone: 828-266-2696

Jean Peacock 
Licensure Specialist
Office: 404D College of Education
Phone: 828-262-6891