Residency Licensure Information
A Residency License (RL) allows individuals to work as licensed teachers in North Carolina while they complete licensure coursework. Appalachian State University has developed graduate certificate programs to meet the Residency Licensure requirements. To qualify for a Residence License and admission into the Residency graduate certificate programs, candidates must:
- Must have an earned bachelor's degree from an accreditated college or university
- Must be affiliated with an Educator Preparation Program (EPP) and be enrolled in one of the approved Graduate Certificate listed below
- Prospective students must have earned a grade point average of at least 2.7 on a four-point scale for formal admission into Residency Gradaute Certificate at Appalachian State University.
- Be employed as a full-time teacher in an LEA
- Satisfy content background requirements through either 24 relevant credit hours or SBE-approved licensure exams (edTPA is NOT required to receive an RL, will be completed during the Student Teaching semester).
- Credit hours considered relevant must be in the subject areas listed and approved by the respective program director.
- Relevant coursework and testing requirements for an RL in Elementary Education or Exceptional Children - General Curriculum are published in this document.
Note: As authorized in LICN-001, this requirement is waived for the 2020-2021 AY only. Candidates qualifying for an RL in 2020-2021 must satisfy content background requirements through either 24 relevant credit hours or SBE-approved licensure exams before they can renew their license for the 2021-2022 AY.
RLs are valid for one year and twice renewable (for a total of three years) so long as candidates continue to meet the above requirements. After successfully an approved Residency Graduate Certificate and passing all SBE-approved licensure exams, RL holders can apply an Initial Professional Educator's License.
NCDPI's Form RL is used to document licensure eligibility.
For more information regarding Residency Licensure, email email@example.com.