About Mountaineer Steps to Teaching
The Mountaineer Steps to Teaching is a three-step process that guides pre-service teacher educators through the processes of becoming a teacher.
Pre-service teacher candidates will meet with faculty and staff that will be instrumental in your academic and professional success. This meeting is designed around the NC Professional Teaching Standards and you will have the opportunity to attend specific discussions with presenters who will talk to you about the following teacher competency areas:
- Taking Responsibility for your Learning and Professional Practice
- Sharing Ownership for the Success of All Students
- Building a Depth of Understanding about the Teaching and Learning Process
- Maximizing all Instructional Resources to Build and Effective Learning Environment
- Thinking Critically and Systematically about One’s Professional Practice
This meeting is by invitation only and we know it will be an informative and enjoyable first meeting for all students participating. Learn more!
After you are accepted to Teacher Education, you will attend an orientation to learn about the next steps on your journey to becoming a teacher.
We will provide an overview of field experiences, review criminal background checks and licensure exams, and introduce you to professional dispositions, professional development requirements, and edTPA. Learn more!
The semester prior to Student Teaching, you will attend an informational meeting to learn about the student teaching placement process. You will be provided a general overview of student teaching and be informed about required paperwork and deadlines. Learn more!